This paleo slice is made with green banana flour, which I absolutely love. It is easy to make, and extremely moist – perfect for a morning or afternoon snack with a cup of tea! What is green banana flour? Banana flour is produced with green …
Lasagne is always a favourite amongst children and adults alike! This version is gluten free, so perfect for anyone with allergies, and it is also packed full of vegetables (which are pretty much ‘hidden’ for any fussy children!) I have also used a vegan cheese …
These are a fantastic snack for school lunches, as they are nut free, but still full of protein from the sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. My kids have always loved these, and we keep a batch in the freezer for a quick snack at any time.
What are the benefits of seeds?
Seeds are high in fibre and good fats so they help to keep our blood sugar levels stable, and keep us feeling ‘full’ for longer (thereby assisting with weight loss). They are also a great source of protein and minerals and can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Recipe: Nut Free “Seed” Balls
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 200g sesame seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 250g raisins
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
- desiccated coconut for rolling
- Place sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and raisins into food processor and process for a few minutes until mixture starts to clump together (it should start sticking together after a while to enable you to roll into balls).
- You may need to add a teaspoon of water and continue blending if the mixture doesn’t come together
- Once mixture is ‘sticky’ and starts to come together, roll into small balls
- Roll balls into desiccated coconut
- Store in fridge or freezer
I always keep a batch of this chocolate almond slice in the freezer for whenever a ‘chocolate craving’ hits! It uses raw cacao powder (which I use in all of my ‘chocolate’ recipes).
What is raw cacao powder?
Raw cacao powder is different to the normal cocoa that you buy in the supermarket. It is rich in antioxidants and minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. This is because it hasn’t been heat treated like normal cocoa, so it retains all these healthful nutrients.
Raw cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. This process keeps the living enzymes in the cocoa and removes the fat (cacao butter).
What are the health benefits of raw cacao powder?
- Rich in antioxidants
- Helps to regulate blood cholesterol levels
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- High in dietary fibre
- Boosts your mood
- Rich in certain minerals (including magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, zinc and manganese)
Recipe: Raw Chocolate Almond Slice
(DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE, PALEO, VEGAN)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup dates (chopped)
- ¾ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or rice malt syrup)
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- Place dates into food processor and process until chopped into small pieces.
- Place all other ingredients into food processor and process until combined.
- Press into tray (approximately 20×20) and refrigerate until solid
- Cut into small pieces
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer
This slice has a similar texture to the traditional ‘chocolate crackles’ but is much healthier! What is Tahini? Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. It has a similar texture to peanut butter. What are the health benefits of tahini? Good source of protein (20% …
Being nut free, this sesame seed slice is perfect for school lunches. It is also packed full of protein, good fats, fibre and antioxidants – so is a great snack to keep you satisfied.
What are the health benefits of sesame seeds?
- Helps lower cholesterol levels – due to presence of phytosterols and oleic acid (which helps to lower LDL or “bad” cholesterol).
- Helps to promote healthy skin – due to zinc content
- Help reduce stress levels and balance blood sugars – due to Magnesium content
- Good source of protein
- Good source of fibre
- Good source of antioxidants
- Rich in many essential minerals – including Calcium, Iron, Manganese, Zinc, Magnesium and Selenium. Many of these minerals play an important role in bone mineralisation.
Recipe: Sesame Seed Slice
(GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, PALEO, VEGAN)
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pepitas / pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175C fan forced.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. (sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pepitas and shredded coconut).
- Melt coconut oil on saucepan
- Turn off heat, then add tahini, maple syrup (or honey) and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl, and stir well to combine.
- Place ingredients into a medium rectangular tin (you don’t want the slice to be too thick or when you cook it, it won’t be crunchy).
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes (or until becomes golden on top).
- Take out and let cool on bench, then place in fridge for about 1 hour to cool down completely.
- Once completely cool, it should be quite crunchy/firm and you can cut into small square.
- Best to store in the fridge.
These taste way too good to be grain free! They have a rich chocolate flavour – and are perfect for when that chocolate craving hits. What is green banana flour? Banana flour is produced with green bananas that are peeled, chopped, dried and then ground. …